The heart chakra occupies a central place in the chakra system. Located between the three lower chakras and three upper ones, it is often seen as playing the role of bridge or center of transformation of energies between the physical and the spiritual. As the center of love, the heart chakra helps heal and transform the physical energies into spiritual energies and vice and versa, supporting harmonious integration of all aspects of oneself.
How to open the heart chakra
There are many ways to open the heart chakra and restore balance in this energy center. We’ll review a few of them. The most accessible and first step to open your heart chakra is to turn within oneself and work towards self-acceptance. This is based on the principle that in order to love and open to love, one must feel at ease and loving within. The idea is that opening your heart chakra and keeping it open and balanced is supported by becoming more integrated. In order to open the heart chakra we can practice:
- Acknowledging different parts of yourself that are at play in our daily life; some easy to recognize, some may be hiding in our shadow with guilt and shame or anger;
- Honoring and accepting the different aspects of our personality;
- Learning how to provide self-love
- Working out inner conflicts
- Learning how to make workable alliances with parts of yourself that tend to resist
- Taming our inner critic and be less judgmental towards oneself
Traditional psychotherapeutic or self-development approaches might be helpful in identifying and working with the areas of resistance of blockage affecting the opening of your heart chakra.