How to exercise your 3rd eye chakra
Let’s explore simple yet efficient exercises to support the opening of your 3rd eye. Here’s a list of practices that will give a boost to your intuitive energy center.
- Exercise your intuition; it’s the main function of the third eye
- Rest under the moon light and reflect; the moon light resembles the quality of light of your intuitive center
- Nurture silence to hear the wisdom of the third eye; listen, the 3rd eye’s sound is more like a whisper
- Strengthen the energy of your first chakra, as well as your throat chakra; both are useful anchors for unlocking the energy of your third eye in powerful and balanced ways
- Divination practices
- Dream work, dream interpretation, lucid dreaming
- Guided meditation, silent meditation
- Let your imagination loose
- See, focus on the space “in between” things
- Be curious about symbolic meanings, symbols around you in different cultures and time periods
- Commune with nature and the energy of the elements
- Enjoy creative crafts
- Free flow
- Working with inner guidance, spirit guides
- Practice contemplation
- Cultivate your psychic abilities
Feel free to try and enjoy the exploration. It’s the best way to get energy flowing in the third eye after all.
How does the pineal gland impacts the awakening of the third eye?
Positioned between the brows and just above the eye level, the 3rd eye is associated with intuition and wisdom. In the human body, this energy center is traditionally associated with the pituitary gland, as well as the pineal gland.
Glands and chakras are intimately related as they represent different levels of bodily functions, the first one being focused on the physical, the other on the subtle energetic level. The pituitary gland is considered to be the “master gland” in the human body because it controls most of the other glands and their hormone production.
What about the pineal gland? The pineal gland is located in the middle of the brain, at the same level as the eyes. Its connection with the third eye chakra or Ajna in the Hindu system has long been investigated by yogic traditions and modern metaphysics alike. They view this gland as a possible seat of the soul and its development, a source for mystical experiences and extrasensory perception or psychic abilities.
This gland is usually considered to be in charge of producing melatonin and regulating our sleep cycle and our sexual maturation. The ways it functions is closely connected to the cycles of light and darkness.
To suport your pineal gland and the awakening of your third eye, here’s what you can do:
- Go outside and get lots of natural light.
- Eat foods or supplements that support a healthy activity of the pineal gland (and counter its calcification), such as iodine, chlorella, apple cider, Tamarind fruit (as it helps remove excess of fluoride involved in decreased pineal activity).
- Meditate; meditation balances the activity of the nervous system and stimulates parts of the brain that help the pineal gland.
- Spend time in complete darkness, as it stimulates a healthy activity in the gland and production of its associated hormones.
Specific practices to activate the third eye chakra
A balanced and open third eye, also known as the Ajna, chakra fosters concentration, focus, and reliance on intuition. Here are more specific techniques for balancing its energy:
Mindful breathing can calm the mind and, in turn, cleanse and open the Third Eye. Being conscious of your breathing not only allows for cleansing, but also balances the chakra system.
Add Third Eye Color
Associated with the color indigo, which is a combination of deepest blue and violet, the Third Eye chakra governs… Introduce blue and purple hues to your home and office decor. Surrounding yourself with subtle indigo tones can help heal the sixth chakra and boost energy flow. Add precious or semi-precious blue- and/or purple-stone jewelry to your wardrobe.
Practice third eye meditation
Of all the exercises you can do for the sixth chakra, those that require you to actually engage the Third Eye are the best.
Visualizing and meditating on the color blue or purple can help activate the sixth chakra. For instance, sit comfortably and with eyes closed, visualize a blue (or purple) ball of energy in the area of your Third Eye. Simply concentrating on and holding that image is enough to activate the sixth chakra. Concentrating on this image can not only open up the energy center, but it helps dispel imbalance and heal the chakra. There are many beneficial resources about chakra meditation online, so go explore!
The Third Eye is crucial in dreaming and dream recall. Engage and activate your Third Eye chakra by keeping a dream journal.
Work your theta brainwaves
It could be useful to learn how to activate and maintain theta and alpha brainwaves. These foster frontal lobe activity and prepare your third eye and brain to be more receptive.
Add some scent
Introduce essential oils to your home, bath, and body. Subtle fragrances can work wonders for opening, cleansing, and balancing the body’s chakras. To help heal and activate your sixth chakra, consider trying one or a combination of these essential oils:
- Roman or German Chamomile
Eat (and Drink) Fruits and Veggies
Consuming beverages and foods with natural blue and purple hues can help bolster positive energy flow through the Third Eye chakra. Drink dark fruit juices, such as grape and blackberry. Consider adding the following fruits and vegetables to your grocery list:
- black currants
- rainbow chard
Yoga for the third eye chakra
When learning how to open and heal the body’s energy centers, no conversation is complete without introducing the benefits of yoga. The practice’s elements of breath, focus, and physical movement, when taken together, are great tools for cleansing and balancing the chakras.
To open and strengthen the Ajna chakra, give these yoga poses a try:
- Hero (Virasana)
- Standing Half Forward Bend (Ardha Uttanasana)
- Child’s Pose (Balasana)
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana)
- Supported Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana)
Share your ideas in the comments section below! We’d love to hear your favorite ways to open the energy of your third eye.
Lizzy is editor in chief of Chakra Magazine and chakras.info. She is trained in several energy healing modalities including Reiki and Healing Touch. In addition she has spent many years studying ancient traditions such as the chakra system and Tibetan spirituality. She merges this knowledge with her passion for sharing information through journalism. Her mission is to offer accurate, up-to-date, reliable resources about topics that matter to readers with regards to the chakra systems.