Last Updated on
Simple Yoga Poses For The Heart Chakra
A regular yoga practice is a great way to open and balance your heart or fourth chakra and the entire chakra system. Since the chakras are intricately linked, the opening and balancing of one chakra understandably benefits energy flow through the rest of the chakras. The heart chakra located in the center of your chest, governs your respiratory and circulatory systems, as well as the heart itself. Heart opening yoga poses, or asanas, typically involve the chest and shoulder area, as well as arching postures.
Basic Yoga Poses for the Heart Chakra
A yoga position, called an asana, is a pose designed to benefit your physical, spiritual, and emotional health. Adapted from the Sanskrit word asanam, meaning a “seated posture,” the basic asanas for the heart chakra strengthen the circulatory and cardiovascular systems.
- Cobra (Bhujangasana) — Intended to broaden the chest area through breath, cobra is a great asana for opening the heart chakra. Not only does it promote spinal strength, but it also invigorates the circulatory system.
- Cow Face (Gomukhasana) — Like cobra, cow face pose strengthens the spine and stretches the arms, shoulders, and hips opening the chest and heart chakra.
- Eagle (Garudasana) — The arm and leg positions that make up eagle pose not only build strength and balance, but also open the fourth chakra.
- Camel (Ustrasana) — This backbend asana strengthens the lower back, thighs, and legs while opening and invigorating the heart chakra.
- Fish (Matsyasana) — A tremendous pose for improving spinal flexibility and strengthening the back, you might want to use a bolster for this one. When practiced correctly, fish pose expands the chest cavity to allow the Anahata chakra room to fully open.
- Cat (Marjaryasana) — Cat pose is a great way to release back tension that may be keeping your heart chakra from opening.
- Upward-facing Dog (Urdhva Mukha Svanasana) — As it strengthens the spine, upward-facing dog also stretches the lungs and chest to open the fourth chakra.
There are numerous benefits associated with chakra yoga focused on the heart: When the fourth chakra is open and balanced, it fosters forgiveness, balances and blends the spiritual and physical, and is home to unconditional love.
Make every cell in your body awaken and rejoice!
Most of us have energetic blocks and imbalances as well as energy-sabotaging habits that prevent us from accessing our full vitality, which leads us to feel exhausted, scattered, dull… even ill.
The good news is that doesn’t have to continue! Bestselling author and world-renowned expert on chakras, Anodea Judith, will reveal the secret to optimizing your energy system, during a free virtual event hosted by The Shift Network: Supercharge Your Chakra Practice: How to Heal Your Energy Centers & Unleash the Full Power of Your Life Force.
We hope to “see” you there! It’s FREE to attend and you will receive a recording if you can’t listen live. >> SUPERCHARGE YOUR CHAKRAS NOW.
Do you want to have more success and joy in your life? The best way to do this is by learning more about your name through numerology. It is a 4,000 year-old science that can help you learn the meaning of your name, because your name was no accident! All it takes is your name and date of birth, click here to get your free personalized numerology reading.
Shop Chakras Products
Lizzy is editor in chief of Chakra Magazine and chakras.info. She is trained in several energy healing modalities including Reiki and Healing Touch. In addition she has spent many years studying ancient traditions such as the chakra system and Tibetan spirituality. She merges this knowledge with her passion for sharing information through journalism. Her mission is to offer accurate, up-to-date, reliable resources about topics that matter to readers with regards to the chakra systems.