Yoga Poses For The Third Eye Chakra
The Third Eye chakra is the energy center known as the home of our “sixth sense.” Located just above and between the eyes, the sixth chakra is associated with intuition, intellect, wisdom, and psychic ability. Represented by the color indigo, which is a mix of deepest blue and violet, the Third Eye, or Ajna chakra, governs the eyes, nervous system, and sinuses. When your Third Eye chakra is open and balanced, you are able to concentrate, focus, and trust your intuition.
Basic Asanas For The Third Eye Chakra
Yoga positions are frequently referred to as asanas. The term asana originates from the Sanskrit word asanam, meaning “seated posture.” Yoga poses for the Ajna chakra help fine tune our sense of perception and help us to see life as it truly is.
Most of us have energetic blocks and imbalances as well as energy-sabotaging habits that prevent us from accessing our full vitality, which leads us to feel exhausted, scattered, dull… even ill.
The good news is that doesn’t have to continue! Bestselling author and world-renowned expert on chakras, Anodea Judith, will reveal the secret to optimizing your energy system, during a free virtual event hosted by The Shift Network: Supercharge Your Chakra Practice: How to Heal Your Energy Centers & Unleash the Full Power of Your Life Force.
We hope to “see” you there! It’s FREE to attend and you will receive a recording if you can’t listen live. >> SUPERCHARGE YOUR CHAKRAS NOW.
Introduce forward bends and inversions to your practice to open and balance the Third Eye chakra. Here are some beneficial yoga poses to get you started:
- Downward-Facing Dog (Adho Mukha Svanasana) — This standing, forward bend calms the mind (and sixth chakra), stretches the calves, arms, and spine and energizes the rest of the body.
- Child’s Pose (Balasana) — A pose of respite, this position allows you to rest and focus inward to open and balance the sixth chakra.
- Supported Shoulderstand (Salamba Sarvangasana) — As you stretch your shoulders and neck in this inverted pose, the shoulderstand helps to calm the mind while opening and balancing the Third Eye.
- Standing Half Forward Bend (Ardha Uttanasana) — This asana strengthens the back to improve posture and stimulates energy flow through the sixth energy center.
- Big Toe (Padangusthasana) — Considered a deep forward bend, this position stretches the calves and hamstrings while stimulating and balancing the Third Eye.
- Hero (Virasana) — This seated asana helps stretch and strengthen the ankles and knees, but it’s also perfect for meditation — the ultimate workout to cleanse, open, and balance the Third Eye chakra.
Yoga for One Chakra, Yoga for All Chakras
Introducing yoga as part of a healthy lifestyle is beneficial for mind, body, and spirit. Yoga postures, also called asanas, are designed to build the body’s stamina, strength, and flexibility. It also helps nurture the body’s energy centers, or chakras. When you incorporate poses to open and balance individual chakras, the entire, intricate chakra system benefits. As one chakra opens and builds energy, each of the remaining chakras also enjoy a boost.
Lizzy is editor in chief of Chakra Magazine and chakras.info. She is trained in several energy healing modalities including Reiki and Healing Touch. In addition she has spent many years studying ancient traditions such as the chakra system and Tibetan spirituality. She merges this knowledge with her passion for sharing information through journalism. Her mission is to offer accurate, up-to-date, reliable resources about topics that matter to readers with regards to the chakra systems.
Want Healthier and Happier Chakras?
When properly balanced each of your 7 Chakras work together to create an optimal life. If you are like most of us your energetic ecosystem could use some help. Take this 2-minute chakra test to know which of your chakras may be the weakest.